SRI's Green Initiatives
SRI recognizes its responsibility and commitment to the environment and to the communities in which we work and serve. The company has been working for years, and will continue to endeavor, to eliminate non-recycled waste and to reduce its "carbon footprint", as well as lessening and eradicating environmental hazards.
Through a very close partnership with its suppliers, SRI has obtained certifications with Sustainable Forestry Initiative (SFI) and Forest Stewardship Council (FSC). SFI (Sustainable Forestry Initiative) and FSC (Forestry Stewardship Council) are independent governing agencies that provide certification that the wood fibers used in the papermaking process come from sustainable sources - comparable to farming the material bases. You may have started to see FSC or SFI logos on various packaging and printed products in the retail markets where you shop.
The FSC and SFI chain of custody systems connect responsible forest management practices and products with consumers. Through FSC/SFI chain of custody, companies can demonstrate their commitment to environmentally and socially responsible forest management and label their products with the FSC/SFI trademarks. FSC/SFI certifications are for companies that process, transform or trade FSC or SFI certified forest products. It enables companies to:
- Identify and control certified sources and reclaimed/recycled material
- Show their customers that they meet FSC/SFI requirements for the control of non-FSC certified wood and fiber
- Use the FSC/SFI trademarks and labels to promote their products in the marketplace
SRI has identified and calculated our baseline carbon footprint and has responded to the Carbon Disclosure Project's annual survey for 2010. Our response will be made public by the CDP after review and scoring. Clearly identifying and measuring our sources of greenhouse gas emissions allows SRI to target the main sources and focus on developing and implementing programs to reduce emissions, such as our Digital Transformation, our inventory commission, and lighting projects.
SRI has a "Green Initiative" to continue to reduce sources of non-recyclable waste products from our facilities. This includes:
- Identifying all internal sources of waste and current disposal methods
- Classifying wastes
- Ongoing measurement of waste streams
- Action plans for each waste stream which continue to reduce and eventually eliminate the waste stream from the facility and, in turn, company-wide.
We have been making good progress eliminating hazardous materials and wastes company-wide, and are completing a program to significantly reduce reported hazardous waste with our contracted recycler. We are also working diligently through the REACH Compliance requirements for our customers doing business within the European Union.
From our baseline year of 2007 through 2009, below are our waste management statistics:
- SRI recycles over 74% of our waste company wide. We recycled over 9000 tons of material in 2009. We are on target for over 80% in 2010.
- Our trash was reduced by 25% over our baseline year
- SRI has reduced our gallons of hazardous waste by over 88%
SRI has been working on waste management and elimination for many years with the following practices:
- Changeover from propane to electric lift trucks
- Changeover from Freon to synthetic coolants
- Recycling of all rags used by shop floor operators
- Changeover from chlorinated solvent cleaning solutions to safe synthetics
- In 2001, our main carbonless provider became the only carbonless
manufacturer to offer the environmentally responsible soy-based carbonless
capsule – NatureSolv™. All carbonless paper from this supplier utilizes this
capsule and is environmentally responsible.
SRI has a history of engaging in activities to ensure our company, our customers and our supply chain have a positive impact on our environment. The initiatives above show how we continue to maintain a leadership role in environmental stewardship.
Environmental compliance, no violations, and a reduced environmental footprint are our goal.